Athens may be a beautiful place to ride a motorcycle – especially when the weather is nice. Still, riding a motorcycle carries a great degree of risk. Many motor vehicle drivers in our state fail to respect the rights of motorcyclists, or they simply fail to share the road safely with them. And when a motorcycle accident occurs, the injuries can be devastating for the motorcyclist, leading to medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering and emotional distress.
Our attorneys at Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, understand what you are going through after a motorcycle crash. We are here to explain and explore all of your options for seeking maximum compensation for your losses. Contact us today and learn more about how we can put nearly 40 years of combined experience on your side. Our initial consultations are always free.
How Can Our Athens Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Help You?
You can count on our motorcycle accident lawyers at Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, to work hard to improve your chances of recovering full compensation for you after a motorcycle accident in Athens. When you work with our law firm, we will:
- Investigate your case – Both on our own and in partnership with accident investigation and reconstruction experts, we will dig deep to determine what happened and whose negligence caused your motorcycle crash.
- Gather and preserve evidence – We will preserve and collect all evidence that will be helpful for your claim, including photographs, the police report, witnesses accounts, medical bills and more.
- Calculate your damages – Before we issue a demand letter and seek compensation on your behalf, we will take the time to carefully calculate the value of your claim so you know exactly how much you deserve.
- Negotiate your settlement – We know how insurance companies operate. We will be prepared to challenge any attempts to shift blame for the accident to you and pay you less than what you deserve.
- Fight for you at trial – Our attorneys are highly skilled and experienced trial lawyers with a record of success in the courtroom. We will be ready to present a strong case on your behalf if the insurance company fails to make a settlement offer that meets your needs and goals.
What Are Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Georgia?
Motorcycle accidents happen when motorcyclists or drivers fail to exercise the required degree of care for a given situation. Examples of common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Impaired driving
- Distracted driving
- Trying to share a lane with a motorcyclist
- Following a motorcyclist too closely
- Failing to look before turning or changing lanes
- Failing to yield to a motorcyclist at an intersection
In addition to the above causes, motorcycle defects and dangerous road conditions can also contribute to the risk of a motorcycle accident. When you work with Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, our law firm will determine how your accident occurred and who should be held liable for harm you have suffered.
How Do You Prove Fault in a Motorcycle Accident?
In order to recover compensation in a motorcycle accident claim, you must prove the fault of another party. Proving fault can be a complicated process – especially if the other party disputes fault. One of the most important jobs of our motorcycle accident attorneys at Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, is to prove the fault of the responsible party. We can do so by:
- Working with expert witnesses, including accident reconstruction specialists
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Poking holes in the statements of the responsible party
- Proving that your accident and injuries would not have occurred but for the actions of the other driver (or another at-fault party)
What Can You Do If the Insurance Company Blames You for the Motorcycle Crash?
You may assume that an insurance company will offer you the compensation that you deserve. However, insurance companies are more interested in saving money than they are in ensuring that you get paid in full. For this reason, an insurance company may try to blame you for your motorcycle crash.
Under Georgia state law, if you are 50 percent or more at fault for your injuries, then you could be barred from recovering any compensation. If you are 49 percent or less responsible, then you can still recover damages. However, your damages will be reduced according to the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Your lawyer at Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, will be ready to challenge any attempt by an insurance company to blame you for your motorcycle crash. Our goal will always be to secure full and fair compensation for you.
What Compensation Can You Recover in a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Athens which another person caused, you have the right to demand compensation for the full economic and non-economic losses you have suffered. Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, can pursue damages on your behalf that may include:
- Medical expenses
- Costs of motorcycle repair or replacement
- Lost wages and diminished future earnings
- Pain, suffering and emotional distress
Keep in mind: Before we can calculate your damages and submit your demand letter to the insurance company, it will be important that you reach maximum medical improvement. For this reason, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after a motorcycle accident and to follow your doctor’s treatment plan.
How Long Do You Have to File a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Georgia?
The statute of limitations places a limit on how much time you have after a motorcycle accident in which to file a lawsuit. If you fail to file a claim before the statute of limitations expires, you can be barred from recovering any compensation. For this reason, it is important to pay close attention to the statute of limitations that applies to your case.
Generally, in Georgia, you will need to file a lawsuit within two years after you suffer your injuries in a motorcycle crash, or within two years after your loved one dies from his or her motorcycle accident injuries. At Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, we will make sure that your claim Is timely filed.
Get Help from an Experienced Athens Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Our experienced Athens motorcycle accident lawyers at Adamson & Cleveland, LLC, are ready to help you to understand your rights and options. It starts with a free consultation. Contact us today to discuss your case.